(continued from page 3)

of the driveway behind Bob's house.

The latest move was necessitated by Hayward's plans to move out of the area in the near future. Other Museum items still remain at his Lakeside site, including the old watchman's shanty from Santa Fe's downtown Broadway crossing.

Doing the sweating.and swearing on that day were Dave Parkinson, Dan McLean, John Hathaway, and Dick Pennick. Incidentally, the photos on page 3 were taken in Bob's driveway just before the railbus was unloaded.

The only step remaining to complete restoration is still a new radiator shell which will have to be custom made. This will probably be done in the near future, and thanks to a number of members, including those mentioned above, PSRMA will soon have yet another piece of operational vintage rail equipment.

Dick Pennick
John Hathaway


Five industrious members had a "high" time Saturday, April 24th...about 50 feet high, to be exact, as the Museum's 8000-gallon redwood water tank was transported to its new storage site at Bob DiGiorgio's place in Santee. The tank, in excellent condition, was donated to the Museum late last year by Mr., and Mrs. Joel Cloud who had used it for years as a source of domestic water until replaced recently by a new steel tank.

Although the dismantling proceeded safely and without injury to any of the members, except for the usual crop of splinters, the project was not without its share of excitement. It all began while Jim Lyerla and Dick Pennick were removing the roof over the tank. As each board was removed, it was tossed over the side to be stacked in a pile on the ground. Electric power and telephone lines surrounded two sides of the tank within ten feet. Complicated by gusty winds, it was inevitable that one of the boards should land on several of the power lines, scraping off the rotted insulation and ripping the wires, insulators and all, from the house nearby. As two of the bared wires came together they short-circuited, setting the remaining insulation on fire all the way to the pole. The large transformer on the pole made a popping sound as its insides exploded.

At length an SDG&E repair crew arrived with its boom truck, and before long all was as good as new. By this time the tank had been completely dismantled, the only items remaining to be lowered to the ground being the circular hoops that had retained the staves and the TV antenna, both of which presented a real challenge.

SDG&E came to the rescue with its boom truck delicately plucking the antenna from its lofty perch and lowering it undamaged to the ground. The long boom also easily lowered the heavy, cumbersome bundle of hoops.

The Museum extends a cordial and heartfelt thanks to this generous SDG&E crew for its assistance. The foreman, incidentally, was on one of our Puerto Penasco excursions.

The tank stand is all that remains to be removed and it is hoped that this will be accomplished with the aid of a local unit of the Navy's Seabees. The tank will be reassembled when the Museum acquires a permanent site for use to fill locomotive tenders.

Helping to make the work party a complete success were Jim Lyerla, Dan McLean, C. B. Benbow, Herb Ruiz, and Dick Pennick. Thanks, fellows! A special thanks to Mrs. Carl McVeagh and Mrs. Walt Larson, who provided the workers with a delicious hot lunch.

Dick Pennick

There will be a special work party, Saturday, May 22nd, at Miramar Naval Air Station for final preparations on the Shay for a summer operation. For further information call Bob DiGiorgio, 448-6161.